The Women Lawyers Association (WLA) is an independent non-profit organization that is made up of women lawyers from: the public sector; private practice; commercial and non-governmental organizations; law students; paralegals, professional and lay magistrates and some honorary male lawyers mandated to empower women and girls and promote gender and human rights in Malawi.
WLA utilizes the law as a tool for promoting, protecting and enforcing the rights of women and children by advocating for legal and systemic changes that address violence and discrimination against women and children in Malawi. WLA intends to implement a litigation project which is funded and supported by the Clooney Foundation for Justice. WLA seeks a consultant under the project.
Expected duration of assignment: 18 working days
Remuneration: MK 2,000,000.00
Terms of Reference
The Consultant shall draft a robust risk assessment and mitigation protocol to guide decision making regarding litigation under the project. They will also be required to develop Key Performance Indicators as well as monitoring and evaluation criteria for the project activities.
- A robust risk assessment protocol that covers both health and security risks of undertaking litigation under the project.
- A robust mitigation protocol and implementation plans for minimizing identified risks.
- An action plan to counter the possible safety or security issues which may arise.
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and monitoring and evaluation criteria for the project activities.
- A minimum of an LLM in human rights, gender studies or its equivalent obtained from a reputable institution.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience with project implementation on litigation and advocacy related to women’s and children’s rights.
- Demonstrated experience in drafting risk assessment and mitigation protocols.
- Demonstrated experience in developing KPIs and monitoring and evaluation criteria for project activities.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing sustainable strategies and plans in the protection of the rights of women and children in Malawi.
- In-depth knowledge of safeguarding procedures and practices in child protection.
- Strong understanding of the legal regulatory standards and frameworks governing the rights of women and children in Malawi.
Mode of Application
WLA is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated workforce aimed at the promotion of the rights of women and children in Malawi. WLA does not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, age, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Interested candidates should submit in one (1) pdf their application letters together with a three (3) paged Curriculum Vitae with three (3) traceable referees and copies of professional certificates to the following email: email@example.com addressed to:
Women Lawyers Association
Area 47, Sector 4
P.O. Box 30864
All applications should reach the President not later than 17:00 hours on Monday, 29th May, 2023.
Applicants are urged to follow these instructions as applications which do not comply with the said instructions will not be considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.