The Women Lawyers Association (WLA) is an independent non-profit organization that is made up of women lawyers from: the public sector; private practice; commercial and non-governmental organizations; law students; paralegals, professional and lay magistrates and some honorary male lawyers mandated to empower women and girls and promote gender and human rights in Malawi.
WLA utilizes the law as a tool for promoting, protecting and enforcing the rights of women and children by advocating for legal and systemic changes that address violence and discrimination against women and children in Malawi. WLA intends to implement a litigation project which is funded and supported by the Clooney Foundation for Justice. WLA seeks a consultant under the project.
Contract Duration: 18 Months
Contract Type: Full-time
Monthly Salary: Between MK1,800,000.00 to MK2,300,000.00
Benefits: Access to institutional vehicle, subscription to local professional affiliates
The successful candidate shall be reporting to WLA’s Executive Committee (Exco). The Executive Director (ED) shall supervise the development and implementation of WLA’s Strategic Plan in line with WLA’s mandate. The ED shall have the following responsibilities:
- Supervising the daily operations of WLA and ensuring that WLA’s mandate is achieved.
- Preparing comprehensive reports on WLA’s activities for the Exco, Board of Trustees, donors and general membership on WLA’s activities.
- Developing and implementing relevant policies and standard operating procedures for WLA.• Fostering WLA’s relationships with its partners and stakeholders.
- Fundraising for WLA’s projects and activities.
- Supervising advocacy related to women and girls’ rights.
- Ensuring proper management of WLA’s Safe House.
- Supervising WLA’s active case management system.
- Organizing capacity building trainings and conferences for WLA staff and general members.
- Carrying out any other duties as assigned from time to time by the Exco.
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Business Administration or Bachelor of Human Resources Management or Bachelor of Laws degree obtained from a reputable institution. Those with a Masters’ Degree will have an added advantage.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in project management and implementation in a nonprofit organization.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing sustainable strategies and plans in the protection of the rights of women and children in Malawi.
- Strong understanding of the legal regulatory standards and frameworks governing the rights of women and children in Malawi.
- In-depth knowledge of safeguarding procedures and practices in child protection.
- Demonstrated experience in leadership with an in-depth knowledge of corporate governance
Mode of Application
WLA is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated workforce aimed at the promotion of the rights of women and children in Malawi. WLA does not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, age, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Interested candidates should submit in one (1) pdf their application letters together with a three (3) paged Curriculum Vitae with three (3) traceable referees and copies of professional certificates to the following email: email@example.com addressed to:
Women Lawyers Association
Area 47, Sector 4
P.O. Box 30864
All applications should reach the President not later than 17:00 hours on Monday, 29th May, 2023.
Applicants are urged to follow these instructions as applications which do not comply with the said instructions will not be considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.