The Women Lawyers Association (WLA) is an independent non-profit organization that is made up of women lawyers from: the public sector; private practice; commercial and non-governmental organizations; law students; paralegals, professional and lay magistrates and some honorary male lawyers mandated to empower women and girls and promote gender and human rights in Malawi.
WLA utilizes the law as a tool for promoting, protecting and enforcing the rights of women and children by advocating for legal and systemic changes that address violence and discrimination against women and children in Malawi. WLA intends to implement a litigation project which is funded and supported by the Clooney Foundation for Justice. WLA seeks a consultant under the project.
Contract Duration: 18 Months
Contract Type: Full-time
The successful candidate shall be reporting to the Executive Director and shall be responsible for providing administrative support to the WLA office. The assistant shall have the following duties:
- Performing basic office functions including: welcoming clients, sorting mail, answering telephones and any other tasks related to the reception.
- Assisting in maintaining files, delivering urgent mails, messages and court documents, handling courier services, etc.
- Ensuring that the office is clean and presentable.
- Meeting the administrative needs of the office.
- Carrying out duties as assigned from time to time by the Executive Director.
- A minimum of a Diploma in secretarial studies or business administration or human resources management obtained from a reputable institution.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in a legal office or a similar organization.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, resourcefulness, effective time management and ability to handle confidential information.
- Computer literacy.
Mode of Application
WLA is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated workforce aimed at the promotion of the rights of women and children in Malawi. WLA does not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, age, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Interested candidates should submit in one (1) pdf their application letters together with a three (3) paged Curriculum Vitae with three (3) traceable referees and copies of professional certificates to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to:
Women Lawyers Association
Area 47, Sector 4
P.O. Box 30864
All applications should reach the President not later than 17:00 hours on Monday, 29th May, 2023.
Applicants are urged to follow these instructions as applications which do not comply with the said instructions will not be considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.