The Women Lawyers Association (WLA) is an independent non-profit organization that is made up of women lawyers from: the public sector; private practice; commercial and non-governmental organizations; law students; paralegals, professional and lay magistrates and some honorary male lawyers mandated to empower women and girls and promote gender and human rights in Malawi.
WLA utilizes the law as a tool for promoting, protecting and enforcing the rights of women and children by advocating for legal and systemic changes that address violence and discrimination against women and children in Malawi. WLA intends to implement a litigation project which is funded and supported by the Clooney Foundation for Justice. WLA seeks a consultant under the project.
Contract Duration: 18 Months
Contract Type: Part-time
The successful candidate shall be reporting to the Executive Director and shall be responsible for book-keeping of WLA’s accounts. The accountant shall have the following duties:
- Ensuring the integrity and accuracy of WLA’s financial data and transactions.
- Managing petty cash and keeping accurate records of income/expenditure.
- Ensuring that supporting documents for payments are stored securely.
- Preparing payroll and monthly bank reconciliation reports.
- Preparing and submitting tax returns.
- Preparing accurate and timely financial reports for Exco, the Board of Trustees, donors and the general membership.
- Carrying out duties as assigned from time to time by the Executive Director
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Accounting degree obtained from a reputable institution.
- A minimum of one (1) years’ experience in a busy office, preferably a similar organization or a legal office.
- In-depth knowledge of accounting principles and requirements governing non-profit organizations.
- Demonstrated experience with legal regulatory standards and frameworks with non-profit organizations.
Mode of Application
WLA is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated workforce aimed at the promotion of the rights of women and children in Malawi. WLA does not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, age, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Interested candidates should submit in one (1) pdf their application letters together with a three (3) paged Curriculum Vitae with three (3) traceable referees and copies of professional certificates to the following email: email@example.com addressed to:
Women Lawyers Association
Area 47, Sector 4
P.O. Box 30864
All applications should reach the President not later than 17:00 hours on Monday, 29th May, 2023.
Applicants are urged to follow these instructions as applications which do not comply with the said instructions will not be considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.